Credit Note in compliance with UK VAT legislation
The refund functionality in WHMCS 5.3.13 is not on accordance with UK legislation.
When a refund is issued, the system must generate a Credit Note with the following details:
- be headed â€˜credit noteâ€™ or â€˜debit noteâ€™ as appropriate and show clearly all the following details:
- the identifying number and date of issue
- the name, address and registration number of the supplier
- the name and address of the customer
- the reason for its issue - for example, â€˜returned goodsâ€™
- a description which identifies the goods or services for which credit is being claimed or allowed
- the quantity and amount for each description
- the total amount credited, excluding VAT
- the rate and amount of VAT credited
- the number and date of the original VAT invoice - if you cannot do this (for example, because returned goods cannot be identified with a particular invoice), you must be able to satisfy us by other means that you accounted for VAT on the original supply
The current system of issuing a revised invoice contravenes UK VAT legislation and makes WHMCS unusable for UK VAT purposes when it comes to refunds.
The main issue I can see is that currently the date of the refund is not recorded as separate entry, neither is the reason for the refund nor is a unique number applied. The renaming of the document to "Credit Note" should be straight forward.